Is my 1000 pound goal reachable?

The blog posting on the 25th (read it here), I had a pumpkin that was approaching my personal best weight.  As of today that pumpkin has soared well past that size!  The approximate weight (based on the estimating chart) was 755 pounds!  It is showing just a bit of maturity but is still putting on ~ 13 pounds a day.  I was hoping for a greater daily weight gain but "it is what it is".  This is a new plot and I didn't have a soil test done so in a way I'm lucky to have it this big in the first place.  Here was that pumpkin on the 1990 Marintzer plant this morning....


In my original giant pumpkin plot, the 1989.5 Deletas plant had a pumpkin on that split vine/stem.  I previously posted about that issue.  I taped it up (using electrical tape) and it seems to have made a difference.  The pumpkin has been putting on about 17 pounds a day - again really low for a giant but I'm satisfied given the split stem.  That particular pumpkin was the result of bee pollination but is likely pollinated from the parent plant.  There is a tiny chance it was pollinated from the 450 Clements plant.  This morning it was ~552 pounds but it was also showing maturity (hardening of the skin). You can't see much in the picture (covered by a sheet to prevent sun scalding) but again the plant itself is still very healthy looking...


The plants of all the pumpkins are still looking very healthy!  Usually this time of year there is a lot of plant leaf damage from insects, weathering, or disease.  However, I have been following a rigorous spraying program.  Here is a view looking towards the 1989.5 Deletas (foreground) and the 450 Clements.  I have 2 pumpkins on the Clements.  I normally would just have one pumpkin on the plant but one is on a main vine and the other is on a secondary.  These pumpkins have a much deeper orange color which is a strong trait from the parent 450 pound pumpkin.  They just aren't that big (292 and 311 pounds).




Oh by-the-way...I also grow field pumpkins and this year I planted 3 seeds from a 121 pound pumpkin along with my 35-40 pound pumpkins.  There is so much plant growth that I have no idea how many pumpkins are set.  I'm guessing at least 15 or so.  I won't know until fall.



So, at this point I have a decision to make.  The Kansas State Fair is approaching and entries for giant pumpkins have to be in Hutchinson on September 9.  Do I sacrifice one of these larger pumpkins to take to the fair even though they would probably still be putting on weight?  As of today, I'm fairly confident that at least one will reach my goal of 1,000 pounds - maybe two.  Theoretically, based on the current daily weight gain, the 1990 Marintzer pumpkin would be around 1145 pounds by September 9.   The genetic trait of this pumpkin could push it heavy, meaning that it would weigh more than the estimated weight chart would indicate and by 10 to 15 percent.  So that could be ~1300 pounds! The Kansas State Fair record (not the state record) is 1034 pounds.  First place pays $700 and setting a record would garner another $100.  Plus there is at least one pumpkin patch business that would likely buy it.  My 542.5 2nd place pumpkin in 2017 was purchased by a business for $250.

Even the 1989.5 Deletas pumpkin, which is 11 days younger,  could be 1050 to 1100 pounds by the 9th!

Well, I still have some time to think about it.  I didn't get entered by the deadline although they take late entries with a late fee added on.  IF, and that is a BIG BIG if, I could get either one of them to 1,200-1,500 pounds, the seeds could sell for $10 to $15 - EACH!  Over 1,500 pounds that price per seed goes up dramatically!  The 1,990 Marintzer seeds sold (and is still selling) for $60/each!

There are still numerous issues that could pop up so I have a L O N G way to go. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving it another go!

Good news and better news!

Got the Heck Out Of Dodge but trying again to grow a 1/2 ton pumpkin