Another half ton pumpkin grown!

I took the "Emree" pumpkin to the Kansas State Fair on September 6.   It taped (measured) at an approximate weight of 1,152 points.  On the scale it came in at 1,116.6 pounds and was heavy enough to take 3rd place at the fair.  The 2nd place pumpkin was 1,167 pounds (near Macksville) and 1st place was 1,235 pounds (from Stilwell).    



My biggest pumpkin in 2021 was 1,187 pounds so this one was not quite as big but was the "prettiest".  

When I loaded it up, I almost couldn't get it fit in the back of my pickup!





































After the fair concluded I picked the pumpkin up and the next day headed to Woodward, Oklahoma via a route from Kingman to Dodge City to Woodward.  I had a doctor appointment in Dodge - thus the long trip.  The Emree pumpkin will be displayed at Kenny Farms (petting zoon / pumpkin patch) until the 26th of October when it will be used for a pumpkin drop in downtown Woodward.  That should be quite a sight.  I will gather seeds at that time as several have asked to receive some and I will likely grow a plant from this pumpkin. 




The second pumpkin I had growing stopped at about 875 pounds in late August.  I wasn't sure what the issue was until I started the fall cleanup.  The pumpkin had developed a soft spot on the back side and then eventually started rotting.  Here it is on September 18...







































Interestingly the seeds inside had already started to sprout. 

I also discovered on the fall cleanup that the stump of the Emree pumpkin plant (the base of the plant) had rotted at some point.  Thus, I now know why the weight gain had dropped off significantly back in August.  That likely knocked off several hundred pounds of potential weight gain.  I already have plans for next year to prevent this - i.e., keep the stump exposed to lots of air to keep it dry (a fan is a necessity).   

I will plant some triticale before the 1st of October and then till that in sometime in early March.  In addition, I'll add some compost I've been making this summer before I till up the soil.  For seeds, I will likely go with the Emree pumpkin (assuming I will get some viable seeds) and also with the 2168.5 Werner pumpkin grown in 2022.  For this season there are reports of those seeds producing some massive pumpkins (i.e., perhaps over 2500 pounds).    I've already acquired a seed from this 2168.5 Werner from an Ohio Giant Pumpkin club.  I will also try to get a 1,187 (my pumpkin) growing although the seeds were not healthy when I collected them.  I just need one plant for pollination (plan to use the male crossed with a female from the eventual Emree pumpkin plant, again assuming I get some viable seeds.

Until 2024...





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving it another go!

Good news and better news!

Got the Heck Out Of Dodge but trying again to grow a 1/2 ton pumpkin