Is there a chance of a 1000 pound pumpkin?

In the previous post I did on the 17th (you can read it by clicking here) I had just pollinated a female that morning on the 1990 Marintzer plant.  The earliest I had ever had a pollinated pumpkin was July 8th.  As of this morning the plant was looking VERY good and the pumpkin had made progress, although not as far a long as a few previous pumpkins.  Today would be DAP7 (7 days after pollination) and was about 1.7 pounds.  Unfortunately, there is still a chance the pumpkin could abort on its own.   I did have a backup female that I pollinated 3 days later and it is growing nicely too.  The make-or-break decision will come early next week on whether I keep the DAP7 or the DAP4.  If it's going to make it, then it should be around 15 pounds on Monday. Here was the DAP7 pumpkin as of this morning....


As I mentioned, the plant is very impressive for the 24th of June.


The other pumpkin plant in this plot is the 595 Hutton and that plant is the one that I had issues early on as it wilted severely.  However, it has recovered and is also looking very good.


I pollinated a pumpkin on that plant on the 19th but it aborted and was removed this morning.  There is another candidate female flower on the main vine that may be ready (open to pollination) as early as the 28th.  

In the original plot (the one that I added 14 tons of sand to) there have been issues with heat stress and wilting although both plants have held their own the past few days now that the root system has increased.  In fact, the 1989.5 Deletas plant is very vigorous.  However, and very disappointingly, the 1989.5 Daletas plant aborted on the end of the main vine (from the early stress).  Now I will have to resort to pollinating a pumpkin on a secondary vine which is not ideal.  I did pollinate 2 females so far; one on the 22nd and another this morning (24th) and both on secondary vines.  I  used pollen from the 450 Clements.  Tentatively, I most likely will not keep those as there are other females on several other secondary vines but much farther down the main vine, which would take into account a greater root system.   The issue is that a possible candidate female is at least 5 to 7 days away.

Here is the 1989.5 Delatas



And the 450 Clements


The 450 Clements seen above does not have any females yet on the main vine  (the ones that were there never opened - again because of the early stress issues).  There is one on the 1st secondary vine of which I'll pollinate tomorrow.  But if that one takes I would doubt I would let it grow as there is a female on the main vine - but at least 5-7 days away from opening.  I'll pollinate using pollen from the 1989.5 Deletas plant which has tremendous genetics.  We'll see.

I'm still laying down more drip tape for the secondary vines and burying the leaf nodes every day.  It's a lot of work but hopefully it will pay off to achieve my 1000 pound pumpkin goal.  I also got the fertilizer injection system going so hopefully that will hope too.  Obstacles at this point are the weather and insects and of course disease. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving it another go!

Good news and better news!

Got the Heck Out Of Dodge but trying again to grow a 1/2 ton pumpkin