S-L-O-W Weight Gain

 The giant pumpkin growth continues, but at a relatively slow rate.  The first pumpkin to start growing this season, the 1257 Wallace, was taped at about 394 pounds this morning.  This would be DAP48 (48 days after pollination).  The pumpkin is maturing so I'm not really expecting a whole lot more weight gain as it's gaining only 4-5 pounds a day.  I suppose that by frost it "might" be around 500 pounds. 



The 1713 Lancaster is gaining a faster rate, but it's also younger as this morning it was at DAP42.  It taped this morning at around 377 pounds.  The current weight gain is around 10 lbs/day.  You might recall the hail damage that occurred a couple of weeks ago.  If you missed the previous post, you can read it here that I mentioned that the two rednecked patches seemed to have worked!  the "wounds" healed over.  





















I never really expected much from this pumpkin as I started the plant on a whim and very late in the season.  It didn't even get put in the ground until May 31.  Plus, the area I put it had been nothing but weeds, tulips, and daffodils prior to this spring.  No nutrients were added.

The 250 Wallace plant continues to be outstanding!  But the pumpkins?  They are just trash.  Every one that got pollinated either quit growing and rotted or are very slow growing.   

I have contacted a grower that lives in Westmoreland, KS that has had tremendous success at growing giants.  This year he'll likely have one that goes well above 1,500 pounds!  He gave me some great suggestions for next season, although one of the suggestions (removing trees) will not fly as I need those for wind protection.  But, I'll have some options. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving it another go!

Good news and better news!

Got the Heck Out Of Dodge but trying again to grow a 1/2 ton pumpkin