Progress - but behind schedule - Updated 07/14/20

The struggle continues with the giants this year but progress had been made since the last post on the 29th.  Each plant now has a potential female pumpkin as described below...

This morning here was the 250 plant and it has made a lot of growth since the 29th..


The first pumpkin on this plant was one pollinated by bees and it occurred as I was not home on that morning of the 5th.  Thus, I don't know what the pollinator host plant was, although it's likely it was carried by bees from its own male flowers (250 x 250).  That is not preferred (not knowing as genetics are in question).  Here was that pumpkin this morning sitting at an estimated 1.8 pounds on DAP8 (8 days after pollination)...


A weight of 1.8 pounds at DAP8 is not good (pathetic I would say).  I will likely terminate this pumpkin.  A second pumpkin (but on a secondary vine) was pollinated this morning (by me) from pollen from the 1713.5 Lancaster plant.  If this one takes and grows faster, I will remove the first DAP8 pumpkin.  I probably won't know that for a week.

On the 1257 plant - the plant growth is accelerating!  Here was that one this morning...


The first female (that was openly pollinated by bees on the 5th as I was gone) was removed as it was on a secondary vine. There was a second female that was pollinated farther down the main vine. That female was pollinated on the 9th from pollen from the 250 plant.  A third pumpkin was pollinated yesterday (13th) also using pollen from the 250 plant.  I'll make a determination on which one to keep at DAP10.  Here was the pumpkin pollinated on July 9th (DAP5)....


It actually looks like a good one considering it is at DAP5.  I'll know more in 2 or 3 days.

On the 1713 plant, it has shown incredible plant growth!  Nice branching and everything.  Being planted late in the season (June 1), I'm impressed.  I don't care how big a pumpkin I grow on this one.  I'll likely try it again next season (that is if I can find seed).  Or, hopefully I can get a pumpkin off of it and I'll use that seed for next season. This morning, here was that pumpkin plant.


There is also a female on that main vine (~16 feet down the main vine) that should be ready to pollinate tomorrow morning.  Hopefully it's a five lobe female (4 lobe is not preferred). I won't know until it opens.  The next candidate female is at least 5 days away (getting really late).

I'm expecting a big complex of storms tonight. Hopefully there won't be too much wind.  But, I'd bet we will get a good soaking which will benefit all the pumpkins!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving it another go!

Good news and better news!

Got the Heck Out Of Dodge but trying again to grow a 1/2 ton pumpkin