Progress of the seedlings - May 3, 2019

On April 13, I started 4 seeds.  You can see that post by clicking here.  They germinated quickly and have shown decent growth since that time.  However, one plant from the 1538 plant is showing genetic deformation, so I will NOT be using that one in the garden.  The others (two 1642's and the 1975) are looking pretty good.  But, really the two 1642's look the best.



I'm only planting two pumpkins this season and I'm tempted to plant both of the 1642's as they do appear to be the healthiest.  The 1975 is not that far behind, so since I want to cross pollinate, I'll have to go with that one.  It wouldn't be a catastrophe if I planted both 1642's - it's just that I want to advance the genetics of all of them.

I have plastic on the soil where I will be planting the pumpkins.  That should result in slightly warmer soil.  It's been abnormally cool lately so I don't want to stunt them.  I will also build a small hoop house for both to protect the young plants from wind and sun and hopefully keep them a little warmer.  I'll probably plant them in the garden on Sunday (5th) which will be MUCH earlier than last year.  The hope is to have a pumpkin pollinated and set by mid-June.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving it another go!

Good news and better news!

Got the Heck Out Of Dodge but trying again to grow a 1/2 ton pumpkin