A "little" discouraged - updated 07/12/18

In the post I did on the 4th (read that one by clicking here) I discussed the wind but also posted about the pumpkin that pollinated while we were in Colorado.  As of this morning that pumpkin on the 1733 plant was "only" up to approximately 7 1/4 pounds.  This would be day 10 after pollination.  Compared to my 542 pounder from last season and the 510 pounder, it's way behind the curve.  The 542 from last year was at 10.2 at DAP10 and the 510 was at 14.4 pounds!  Anyway, I wasn't necessarily planning on keeping this one as I wasn't 100 percent certain what the pollinator was plus it's only 10 feet from the base of the plant.  I'm not culling it just yet.  Here is that 7.25 pound pumpkin this morning....



I pollinated another female on this 1733 plant on Tuesday the 10th but on a tertiary vine (third off the main).  The pollinator was from the 1861 plant.  Both the 1733 and the 1861 have great genetics!  Both were decedents of 2,145 (McMullen) and 2,230 (Wallace).  The 2145 is a parent to the current world record pumpkin (2,624.6 pounds)!  Here was this new pumpkin on the 1733 this morning...



In that previous post on the 4th I also showed a female on the 1861 that was headed towards opening in 3 or 4 days.  Nope!  That little girl dropped off before opening, probably from heat and wind stress.  That's fine as there are several more candidates.  One will open tomorrow morning.  Here is that one on a tertiary vine...



Another on a quaternary vine that will likely open Saturday or Sunday (I'm hoping NOT Saturday as I will be fishing in a tournament)...



There is also a really small female on the main vine of the 1522 for that plant but that is at least a week away.  That could be the best option but it's getting late in the season....




I also see another couple of females on secondary and tertiary vines but they are at least 7-10 days away. 

I'm really disappointed with the 1522.  It's just not near as healthy as the 1861 or 1733 but it also had the most insect damage early on.  In the following image, the 1861 is in the background, the 1522 closest to the camera...



The 1733 plant is very healthy other than the main vine tip that shriveled up!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving it another go!

Good news and better news!

Got the Heck Out Of Dodge but trying again to grow a 1/2 ton pumpkin